Saturday, June 5, 2010

1 Corinthians 1-2: Wisdom and Truth

I've been reading a lot of philosophy books and articles since I started grad school and learned a lot of new vocabulary.

Postmodernism
Desonstructionism
Foundationalism
Anti-foundationalism
Positivism
Empiricism
Feminism

Epistemology
Phenomenology

I have learned about multiple literacies.
I have learned that writing is a technology.
I have learned about the theory of fallibility.

I have read Popper, Winner, Derrida, Foucault, Heidegger, Soros, Postman, Aristotle, Cicero, Plato, Kristeva . . .

There are some truths in their writings, but as far as I know, none of those people knew Jesus.
Some of them mocked Christianity.

In 1 Corinthians 1:18, Paul reminds us that "the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

There is truth, and there is Truth.
The problem is, sometimes it's hard to know the difference.

And it's not enough to say that all Wisdom and all Truth is contained in the Bible, which I believe it is.

We have to figure it out what it means.
And not everyone agrees on the meaning.

So how do we determine wisdom? How do we determine Truth?
I hesitate to attempt an answer. After all, I've just laid out an impossible task.

God never changes.
We change, but God never does.

So we seek God first.
We love him.
We study Scripture.
We test everything against God's Word.

Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age?
No matter how many truths they discover, their wisdom is incomplete.
The foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom.

And even if we'll never figure it all out--God's ways are beyond finding out--it's more important to seek God's wisdom than any other brand.

No comments: