Friday, August 20, 2010

Ezekiel 19-33: I give up

Rebellion.
Pride.
Idolatry.

Destruction.

For Israel.
For Tyre.
For Egypt.

I'm reading the same thing over and over, just in different ways.  And I don't know if it's because I feel pressure to get caught up or if it's because I don't really understand everything, but very little stands out to me.  

Until this section in chapter 33.

The people have tired of their sin.  The discipline has worn them out.  And they say, "Our offenses and sins weigh us down, and we are wasting away because of them.  How then can we live?" (33:10)

And God responds:
. . . I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live.  Turn!  Turn from your evil ways!
God's disciplines to draw us back to him.  When he leaves us to our sin, the chasm between us grows wide.  When we call on him to save us, when we turn on him to sin, the chasm closes.

This is how we can live.

We can choose to resent God's discipline or we can surrender to him.  It's our choice.

No comments: