Friday, May 21, 2010

Acts 2: What if . . .

If you know me well, you know I'm suspicious of wild, crazy stories about God. Let's just say that I've been around too many wild, crazy people who told stories about God and whose lives just didn't match their stories.

That doesn't mean that I don't WANT God to do amazing, unbelievable things.
I WANT to see friends and family experience miraculous healing.
I WANT to hear people speak in tongues and have someone from another country understand.
I WANT to experience the miraculous.
I WANT to be filled with awe.

I just want it to be real.

But what if . . .

What if I was in church and heard a violent blowing wind?
What if I saw "tongues of fire" light on people's heads?
What if I heard the people around me speaking in words I didn't understand?
What if I encountered relatively uneducated people explaining God to me--in a way that totally blew me away?

Would I believe it?
Would I be filled with awe?
Would I back away because it was so weird?

I don't know.
I believe in all these things.
I believe they happened in Acts 2.
I believe they can happen now.

I don't chase the miraculous; I would rather rather seek God.
But what if . . .

No comments: