Wednesday, July 21, 2010

2 Samuel 19-24: David Dies (it's kind of a strange day)



From Garden to City reading (for Monday and Tuesday):  2 Samuel 19-24

Monday's reading threw me for a loop.

Apparently David's soldiers weren't as moved by David's love for Absalom as I was.  It makes sense.  Absalom would have killed David and all of them if they hadn't killed him, but David wouldn't have cared as much about that.  And I didn't know quite what to say beyond--sometimes you have to do what you have to do.  But it doesn't mean you can't be sad.   And apparently I have codependent tendencies.

Tuesday I had a lot to say, but no time to say it.  
To make a long story short, David gets old--too old to fight--but God still delivers the Israelites from the Philistines, David sings a song about God's love and his own righteousness, he sins again, the people suffer, and then he offers a sacrifice.  

And then he dies.  

Today we've got a new book, Hosea.  Tough read.  God tells the prophet Hosea to marry a prostitute.  And he does.  And she rejects him.  And then God says to take her back.  

But today's an odd day.
I had a nightmare, woke up, and couldn't get back to sleep for a couple of hours.  So I slept until 7:00.  And then the AC man came to fix the AC at 7:30 and wasn't done until 10:30.  

Late start.  
No devotions.
No motivation.  
Lots of distractions.

It's kind of a strange day.  
And I really need to do a few things before Duane gets off work.  
I probably should take some time to pray first.

No comments: