Friday, July 2, 2010

Judges 17-18: Now in those days . . . everyone did as he saw fit.

If you're reading this blog and you haven't read Judges 17-18, I would suggest that you read it now.  I pretty much don't even know what to say about this section except that it's sad.

Micah steals his mother's silver, and she calls down a curse on him.  He's afraid of the curse, and so he gives back the money.  And she's so grateful to have the money back that she commissions a silversmith to create an idol for the family.

And then Micah hires a Levite, a member of the priestly tribe, chosen to minister to the Lord, to be his household priest and father.  And the priest is happy to serve Micah, his mother, and the new god created out of the silver.

Until some other men come along and offer him a more lucrative position.
And together they go and kill a peaceful neighboring tribe so they can take over the land.

And apparently the people of God are so clueless that no one sees a problem with any of this.

And this morning it makes me wonder about the way we live as followers of Christ.
What are we clueless about?
What am I clueless about?

I don't want to just live as I see fit--I want to live as God sees fit.

No comments: