Monday, November 15, 2010

Come to me and I will give you rest - Reflections on Matthew 11:28-30

This morning I filled an entire page in my journal with names of people for whom I'm praying.  The prayer requests are complicated.  These men and women need God to work transformative miracles in the hearts of wives, husband, and children, as well as in their own hearts.  Suffice to say, answers to prayer requests of this nature are ongoing.  No quick fixes here.

And the people I'm praying for--they're tired.  Tired of trying to fix things.  Tired of dealing with broken relationships and rebellious spirits.  The thing is, there's nothing they can do.  Only God can work miracles in these situations, and, at least on the outside, it doesn't look God is doing anything.

I've got a few of those situations in my life as well, and sometimes I wish there was something I could do to guarantee that God would do what I want him to do.

Sometimes we feel like we've failed.  Like we let God down, and now he's not listening.  And he's not moving.

And Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

The Message version puts it like this:
Are you tired?  Worn out?  Burned out on religion?  Come to me.  Get away with me and you'll recover your life.  I'll show you how to take a real rest.  Walk with me and work with me--watch how I do it.  Learn the unforced rhythms of grace.  I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you.  Keep compahy with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly.  
Trust me.  Learn from me.  Receive my love.  You didn't let me down.  
I'm gentle and humble. Come to me.  You will find rest for your soul. 
I don't want you to try to fix things.  I don't want you to work harder.
I want you to come to me.  Rest in me.

When we rest in Jesus, we experience peace.  We're still waiting for transformative miracles.  We're still waiting for God to move in our lives and in the lives of people around us, but as we draw near to the God who made us, the God who loves us, he gives us strength in the waiting.

No comments: