Thursday, April 8, 2010

Numbers 6-8: The Lord bless you!

When I was very little, growing up in the Presbyterian Church, all little children sat in church, on hard pews, during the incredibly dull, seemingly endless Sunday morning services. Every Sunday we stood and recited the Apostles Creed and the Lord's Prayer. Every's Sunday, we sat while the minister in his flowing robes and sashes read the morning prayer. My legs dangled from the pews, and sometimes I opened my eyes and looked around. Sometimes my mother let me bring a book so I could read during the sermon.

And then, every week, at the close of service, the minister stood at the back of the sanctuary, raised his hands, and said, "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."

I liked this prayer, but only because it was a sign that church was over and we could go home.

It was so great to come across this prayer again yesterday morning.

I'm going to start praying this prayer.

No comments: