Sunday, January 9, 2011

Daniel Fast: Day 2

Yes, I know Day 1 and Day 2 are posted on the same day.  Technically, I wrote Day 1 on Day 2, but that's because I hadn't quite decided to write anything.

Yesterday we went shopping for Daniel Fast food, and I want to say that eating a vegan diet is expensive.  In the end, I think it'll be about the same because we won't be going out, but I did spend a lot of money at the store.

We ate oatmeal with dried apples, raisins, pecans, and almonds for breakfast.  And some pomegranate tea.  And I had a banana.  And then I made spaghetti for lunch with a salad.  For supper, we had celery with peanut butter and blueberries, more blueberries, and baby carrots.

We both have slight headaches, and I'm hungry all the time.  Plus I keep having to use the bathroom.  I don't know if it's because I'm drinking more water or because I'm losing water weight from not eating processed foods.  I suppose it doesn't matter.

I remember to pray in the morning, as usual, but I forget to pray throughout the day.  I really want to learn continual dependence on God.

Today we read 1 Chronicles 21:18-27.  In this passage, David sets out to make an offering to God.

If we go back to the beginning of chapter 21, we see that David completely disobeyed God by taking a census of the fighting men in Israel, and God brought terrible judgment on the whole country in response to David's sin.  God gives David three choices for the punishment: 1) Three years of famine; 2) three months of being war; 3) three days of plague.  David chooses the plague, and seventy-thousand men died.

David mourned for his sin, and begged God for mercy, stating, "Was it not I who ordered the fighting men to be counted?  Why are you punishing all of them?  Please--let your hand fall upon me and my family, but do not let this plague remain on your people!"  God lifted the punishment and commanded David to build an altar to the Lord on the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

I don't know who Araunah the Jebusite is, and I don't know why God sent David there, but when David offers to pay him for the threshing floor, Araunah says, "No, take it. It's my honor."  And David says, "No.  I will not give the Lord a sacrifice that costs me nothing."

In other words, a sacrifice has to be sacrificial.  It needs to mean something.  If fasting is easy, it's not a sacrifice.  I could fast cigarette smoking, but that wouldn't be a sacrifice because I don't smoke.  Never have. Don't plan on starting.  But to give up coffee?  That's a sacrifice.

Still, it's not a huge sacrifice.

And I'd just stop with that, but I clicked on additional content after I read today's Scripture, thinking I'd get another passage, and instead I got teaching that I really wish I hadn't read:
During this fast, build an altar and lay a sacrifice on it that honors God. It will cost your convenience, your comfort, and it will also take some serious willpower and commitment. What will your sacrifice be during this fast? Make sure it's a sacrifice that will cost you something. Make your commitment in writing and share it with a friend who will hold you accountable to your commitment. Pray for God to show you what He wants you to sacrifice.
Hmmm.  I don't even know what to sacrifice.  I don't want to sacrifice anything, to be honest.  Isn't food enough?  I'll have to think about this.  

No comments: