Sunday, January 16, 2011

Daniel Fast: Day 9

Ah.  Good day.

Today I woke up without a headache, excited to go to church.

We ate our oatmeal, and I added cranberries instead of dried apples, plus a touch of nutmeg.  It's fun to be creative.  And I read Matthew 6, talking about prayer and fasting.  And Isaiah 58, about seeming to seek God, but complaining and pointing fingers and oppressing others.  And I asked myself, what does oppression look like in the 21st century?

And I went to church and struggled with harmonies, but prayed instead of panicking.

And I got to talk to so many people, and I just have to say, I love the people in Santee.  I'm so incredibly grateful that God allows me to attend church here.

And I love the hunger for God and community in this little church.  I long for God to meet each and every one of these individuals.  I long for God's Spirit to move here and transform lives so that we can all go out and show God's love to the people around us, who don't know God.

And after church we went to Evolution, a vegan fast food joint, in Banker's Hill.  Yes, a vegan bacon cheeseburger.  I don't know that it tasted like a hamburger, but it tasted good, and I didn't have to make it.  And we ate outside because it's 80 degrees in San Diego today, and I'm thankful for good food and for warm weather and sunshine.  I'm thankful for a husband who loves me and likes to spend time with me.

And then we drove home and I opened my email to find a message from a friend whose marriage is in trouble, and my heart broke.

This is why we fast.

To know you and to make you known.  (Isaiah 26)

No comments: