Sunday, March 21, 2010

Mark 1-2: The Image of the Invisible God

Colossians tells us about Jesus, that he is the image of the invisible God. In other words, when we look at Jesus, listen to what he says and the way he says it, watch what he does and the way he does it, observe his love and compassion, then we see what God, the almighty God, is truly like.

Wow.

Here we see Jesus, baptized not because of sin, but to set an example for us.
He speaks with authority.
He heals all who come to him.
He feels compassion for the leper.
He forgives sins.
He knows what men are thinking.

And he gets up in the morning, while it is still dark, to spend time alone with his father.

He moves with power, the power of the Holy Spirit.
The people sense it, but most of them never ask, What is different about this man?

Instead, they are asking, What can he do for me? It's the wrong question.

Knowing Jesus is everything. In Philippians 3, Paul says firmly that nothing matters compared to knowing Jesus.

He says, "I want to know Christ. I want to know the power of his resurrection. I want to to know the fellowship of sharing in his suffering. I want to be like him, even in his death."

I want to ask the right question. I want to know Jesus.

No comments: