Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Ezekiel 10-11: A New Heart

From Garden to City reading:  Ezekiel 10-11

I don't understand God's judgement.
And I don't understand his compassion.
I don't understand his second chances.

Their sin is great, but God's mercy is greater.
And so the glory of the Lord leaves the temple, but his spirit becomes a sanctuary for the exiles in faraway lands.  And he promises to bring them back.

And when they return, he will give them "an undivided heart."
Ah, I want an undivided heart, one that is wholly devoted to God.  No mixed motives.  No doubts.  No rebellion.  Unfailing commitment to the God that loves me.

This is the promise.
And he promises that he will take away their hearts of stone and replace them with hearts of flesh.

We haven't seen this prophecy fulfilled in Israel yet.
We haven't seen this prophecy fulfilled in our lives yet.  At least not completely.

I used to feel incredibly ashamed of my divided heart, of my failure to be fully committed to serving God and seeking him.  I'm grateful for Romans 8:1, which reminds me there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus.  I'm grateful for Psalm 25:3, which tells me that if I put my hope in God, I will never be ashamed.

And I'm grateful for the promise of an undivided heart.

No comments: