Saturday, August 7, 2010

I can't do ANYTHING. So I will have to trust God.

Last night, at 7:30 p.m. PST, Caitlin tried to sign up for her classes at Grossmont College.  I'm in Oklahoma right now so she's pretty much on her own.   At 8:00 PST, she called.   In tears.  It won't let her sign up for classes.
This is pretty urgent.  Most classes are full and so she's choosing leftovers, basically.  Budget cuts have hit community colleges really hard.  

I am a problem solver by nature and so I got her password and attempted registration here in Muskogee.  It's a slow process.  Grossmont must be operating on an ancient server.  I finally got everything entered, and I hit submit.  Turns out Caitlin needs an HS authorization form on file.  

What is an HS authorization form?  Now it's 10:30 p.m. in Oklahoma.  I was exhausted before, but now I'm frustrated and angry and stressed.  

Some research on the internet, and I find out.  An HS authorization form is a high school authorization form.  But Caitlin is not in high school so she doesn't actually need one.  And the offices are closed until Monday.  And students are signing up for classes.  By the time she gets to sign up, there will be even fewer classes.  I write a few notes to people in the Admissions office hoping one of them is working this weekend and can take care of the problem, but I am not hopeful.

So I call Caitlin and explain the situation.  It does not go well.  She's scared to go to the offices on Monday morning because she'll probably cry when she explains the situation.  And I can't go with her because I'm in Oklahoma.  And so I get really short with her.  

And now it's past 11:00 p.m.  in Oklahoma, and we need to get up and get moving in the morning.  Today's my research day and I really want to be awake and alert.  And I can't sleep.  

And so I lie in bed trying to find a solution.    

Suddenly I realize.  We can't solve the problem.  We can't do anything until Monday.  
And so worry and anxiety is totally useless.  

All we can do is trust God. 
This was my mantra until about 12:30 p.m. when I finally fell asleep.  
I can't do anything.  So I will have to trust God. 

If you're reading this, you can pray that Caitlin gets in the right classes.  And you can pray for her on Monday that she has courage and doesn't cry when she goes to the Admissions office.  And you can pray that we will trust God.  

1 comment:

Toni said...

Oh, I am just reading this now. How did it go? I sure feel for her. Shceduling day was always WAY more stressful to me than finals week. You are right though, God is in control and he can sort it out even if it looks impossible.