Saturday, June 12, 2010

1 Corinthians 15: Dead is dead. Or not.

Please pardon my reference to a line from Lost. Yes, we did watch the entire five years of the show. And yes, this is a great line. And no, I don't intend to talk about Lost.

Except for this. When John Locke appeared to come back to life, Ben wasn't fooled. Because he knew. Dead is dead.

I was willing to suspend disbelief. Maybe death isn't final on the island. I mean, I believe in the resurrection. Jesus raised Jairus' daughter from the dead. He raised Lazarus from the dead. God raised him from the dead. I believe we will all experience eternal life.

Dead is not dead for me.
It's not final.
I think sometimes I take the resurrection for granted, and that's a dangerous state of mind.

Taking the resurrection for granted minimizes the terrifying sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

Taking the resurrection for granted trivializes the responses of the disciples after the crucifixion.

Taking the resurrection for granted keeps me from realizing the awesomeness of what God did.

Taking the resurrection for granted keeps me from truly celebrating God's amazing victory over death.

Dead is dead.
It's final.
Any other alternative is impossible.
Except when the power of God overturns the laws of nature.

"I want to know Christ, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of sharing in his suffering, becoming like him in his death." (Philippians 3)

I want to know Jesus.
I want to know his power.
I want to celebrate the impossibility of the resurrection and live in awe of the One who raised Jesus of the dead.

No comments: