Monday, June 14, 2010

Reading, Writing, and Rules

I looked at the From Garden to City reading plan today. It turns out that I during my cave days, I not only missed missed writing/reading most of the book of Acts, I also missed Galatians and the two epistles to the Thessalonians.

It really bugs me.

Basically, I feel like I broke the rules.
Except that writing every day is a rule I made up to benefit myself.
Kind of like committing to follow a diet or to exercise every day.

I struggle with these kinds of rules, these "shoulds" and "oughts" that I set up for myself.

And what I really want to do is go back and get caught up, to do everything I'm supposed to do.

I know what that would look like, though. I wouldn't be reading carefully, listening for the Holy Spirit to speak to me. Instead, I would be skimming through the passages in order to find something to write.

Sigh. There's a difference between seeking God through Scripture and studying Scripture in order to have something to say.

One fills me with joy; the other satisfies my desire to follow the rules.
I love writing in this blog.
I love Jesus more.

No comments: