Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Philippians 3-4: The Difference Between "Knowing" and "Knowing"

I've been mulling over Philippians 3 and 4 since Saturday when I completed my last post. Philippians is one of my favorite books so I considered carefully which section to write about. Should I write about Philippians 4?

Rejoice in the Lord always. That section is profound and difficult.
Or how about not being anxious about anything? Those verses with their instructions comfort me at night or when I'm spinning out about things.
Or how about the section on being contact in all things, whether I have a lot or very little. This section is very personal as I continue my search for a new job.

Or I can go back to chapter 3 and the section about pressing on toward the goal for which Christ called me, not looking book. That seems to fit with the theme of this blog--learning to move.

And yet I keep coming back to the passage in Philippians 3, where Paul says that nothing matters more than knowing Christ.

Everything else, no matter how valuable, is like rubbish.

Rubbish. Not really a word we use these days.
I had an elementary school teacher who referred to the trash can as the rubbish can. That's where we put broken pencils and paper scraps.

The KJV uses the word "dung." Also not a common word, but a lot more descriptive--and smelly--than "rubbish."

I looked up the word in a concordance and the Greek refers to "any refuse, as the excrement of animals, offscourings, rubbish, dregs."

But I digress. The point is, I've been mulling over this passage because it is the heart of the Gospel. Knowing Christ. Putting that first.

Knowing Christ, really knowing him, changes me.
Knowing Christ is the foundation of all the other things I wanted to write about--
--rejoicing
--not being anxious, praying, and peace
--contentment in all circumstances
--pressing on toward the goal to which Christ called me

And I wonder--is knowing Christ the most important thing in my life?
Or have I gotten bogged down in other things?
Have I placed other things ahead of knowing the One who loves me, rescued me, gives me life?

And then I wonder--how can I know Him?

No comments: