Monday, June 14, 2010

2 Corinthians 3-4: Jars of Clay

Because of Christ, we have a glorious hope.
Because of Christ, we have freedom.
Because of Christ, the Holy Spirit lives inside us.

When Christ lives in us, we reflect his glory; we are being transformed into his likeness, with increasing glory.

Wow.

I just want to think about that for a minute.
After Moses' encounter with the All-Mighty, he had to veil his face because the glory was too intense for the people. After a while the visible glory started to fade. And then he wore the veil so that people wouldn't know.

On the other hand, the more we spend time with Jesus, the more people can see God's glory reflected in our lives. We don't need veils.

Wow.

Okay, I'm not hearing harps. I don't have a halo. I still need glasses, and I'd like to lose a few pounds. I'm still a little rough around the edges.

Paul says we "have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." (4:7)

I don't really know what a jar of clay looks like, but I'm thinking it's pretty rough. Like me. Not exactly perfect.

The same God who said, ". . . let light shine out of darkness, made his light shine in our hearts. . ."

It's better that way.
God's light.
God's glory.
Not mine.

When I let people see my weakness, then they can see God's strength, his light, his glory.
And so when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:10)

No comments: